Thursday, February 9, 2012

Opening at Vermillion Tonight


The installation with Marie Gagnon and Laura Hamje is almost done.

Please join us tonight at the opening of Conversations in Paint: Danielson, Hamje and Gagnon at Vermillion Gallery during the Capitol Hill Art walk from 6-8 pm. Thanks to The Stranger for the recommendation.

Participating with Marie Gagnon and Laura Hamje in this show has been one of the best collaborative experiences I have had. It's a thrill to have my work share the walls with these two terrific painters. Marie curated this show and brought us together. Diana Adams at Vermillion generously agreed to host us.



Marie, Laura and I met together face to face for the first time a couple of weeks ago (we had been, of course, virtually introduced through our work via the Internet). Although I know Marie from a studio group we both belong to, I had never met Laura. Marie and Laura are also newly acquainted. Yet while hanging this show we worked together like old friends. On Tuesday after unwrapping nearly 100 paintings and spreading them across the gallery floor we were honestly overwhelmed. Vermillion is a large gallery but it would not accommodate that much work. We had brought so much with us, not with the intention of hanging it all, but to allow for conversation to flow more freely.

At first we were speechless but slowly we began to wander among the work. I don't recall who talked first, but suddenly clusters of paintings began to appear around the room. The conversation had begun and it was a kick. The grouping on the left side of the photo above gives you a taste.  The exhibit is up through March 3. We invite you to join us tonight for the opening, or to stop by when you are in the neighborhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment