Friday, February 7, 2014

First Week

During this first week of February, I’ve been re-establishing a full-time studio practice. My schedule has been steady but more sporadic than I would like. It has been interrupted for by numerous events, including a death in the family, the holidays, and some travel. On top of that, it just takes awhile to settle into a new studio. While I've been here about six months, it occurred to me several weeks ago that I still haven't fully owned this new space. Familiarity is the key, so I've set about about with new schedule and work plan for the month. I'm calling this period of time an in-studio residency.

Last fall I confessed to my dislike of drawing during an artist talk, which surprisingly generated a dynamic discussion with about 15-18 people, mostly artists, about their like or dislike and all the gray areas between painting and drawing. But I digress at bit. I only bring this up because since then I've decided to reconsider my opinion by giving the practice another go. With that in mind, this entire first week has been all about a monochromatic palette and drawing from 3-D forms created last week. Here's a glimpse of what has been going on behind closed doors.




No comments:

Post a Comment