Saturday, December 19, 2009

Have You Recently had a Close Encounter?




Holiday distractions abound.  That means less time spent in the studio or at the computer blogging.  The trade off is time spent with family and friends, and tipping back some eggnog.  In honor of the holidays I'm sharing a family portrait.  Some explanation might be in order says my significant other.  People might wonder what the heck kind of family this is!

Lately I've been able to relate only too well to the characters in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind, building the same shape over and over, compelled to do it without understanding why.  My artist training has taught me not to question but to just build.  Having said that, if I disappear, you’d better look to the sky for the mother ship. 

This strange shape surfaced about 18 months ago during a workshop where we were instructed to select our own shapes and compositions, but the process for generating them was completely new to me.  Since then this shape has repeatedly shown up in my paintings.  While I have yet to resort to mashed potatoes it has now been born into three dimensions and is becoming a sweet little family.  More members are on the way because this shape is not done with me yet.  Maybe it's time to put some water on the stove to boil and peel potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment