Sunday, November 7, 2010

Structures


I'm interested in structures of all kind and oh what a cool structure I experienced on top of the Metropolitan Museum of Art! Here is a link to an article in the New York Times about the Big Bambú: You Can’t, You Don’t, and You Won’t Stop, created by identical twin brothers, Mike and Doug Starn (yep, there they are sitting on top of the sculpture). Big Bambú is about the interconnectedness of life and represents a living, breathing organism, which in this case is unpredictable, joyful and amazing.

The only way to experience the Big Bambú is to get in line for a ticket and go on a tour, which takes you up paths and stairs within the structure that is lacy and magical.  I'm afraid of heights but my love of structure overcame that fear.  Plus, yes, the little kid in me just could not resist the chance to climb into the crazy sort of tree house-type structure. The reality is that even if I had happened to fall over a railing, all that cris-crossing of bambu would have trapped my like a spider's web and I would have been it's happy victim!  All the more time to study the structure of this mountain-climber constructed building. 

All tour-goers were required to place their belongings into a locker beforehand for safety reasons - don't want to drop anything onto the people below don't you know - but that explains why I have no pictures from "inside".   You'll see some via this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment