![]() |
| Untitled (Travelogues – Turquoise Symptom), 2010 |
The usual muted Northwest tones of downtown Portland were a stark contrast in November to the vermilion and yellow gold leaves lit up by the slanting sun. The display was captivating as I made my way to Stumptown Roasters on Stark Street to meet with visual artist, Michelle Ross, whose color palette is equally as beautiful, albeit more elegant and subtle.
Ross arrived dressed in
blue jeans and a black leather jacket, hair casually pinned up. After our conversation
she would be off to Oregon College of Art and Craft where she has been a
professor of painting and drawing for 14 years. Teaching and building community
are integral parts of Ross’ life. Teaching provides her with a different
kind of satisfaction than painting. Building community is an essential element
of her work and is reflected in the projects she has been involved with over
the years.
When I first came across
Ross’ abstract works at the Portland Art Museum as part of the
Northwest Contemporary Art Awards in August, it was their subtle elegance
rather than any flash that won me over. The beauty was not surface deep. The intelligence
of Ross’ work makes it impossible to ignore. The work contains a quality of
structure and a distinctive ethereal presence. The result is a quiet tension,
as if someone is patiently waiting for important news. The rich and luminous layers
of neutral grays, blues and greens appear suspended on the canvas. As I approached
Untitled (Travelogues – Turquoise Symptom),
2010, the discovery of a piece of sheer fabric, suspended in a small drape,
caught me by surprise. While this element provided a subtle three
dimensionality to the work up close, stepping back it effectively became paint
again. The shift reinforced the sense of instability and structure, a theme
carried throughout Ross’ work.
More recently, fabric construction has taken a more assertive role in Ross' work. Rather than incorporating a piece of fabric into an oil painting, a fabric construction is often draped over a painted surface, as with Prototype (see below). This piece and several others are currently included in a group show
called Interior Margins at The Lumber
Room, an alternative art space in Portland. While I have
yet to see this exhibition, it has the
potential to be of historical significance as it brings “together the work of
an intergenerational group of Northwest women artists who are transforming the
diverse legacies and practices for a ‘new era’ in the historic context of the
Northwest.”
![]() |
| Prototype, 40"x40" |
Now that you have a little background, below are the highlights of
my conversation with Michelle Ross:
What is the first thing
you do when you arrive at your studio?
Make coffee and
look.
What is the last
thing you do before you leave your studio?
Lately I try to
leave something that will surprise me the next time I re-enter, leave some part
of something I am working on that seems crazy or wrong or risky. Or create an
improbable gesture that may or may not stand up to consideration when I return.
What is the most
important aspect of your studio practice besides just being in the studio?
Taking risks
visually and materially – and not second-guessing. Saying yes to everything in
the moment with the understanding that reflection and editing will adjust the
work. Realizing that any ideas I think the work is about will evolve and shift
through this ethic. Being able to recognize what is authentic about what I am
doing and when I‘m kidding myself. It’s a gut thing.
Please briefly describe
your process.
Conceptual
bricolage painting. I’m looking for an emotional result that is informed by
ideas and that I connect with physically. Currently the ideas relate to the
domestic, décor, fashion photography, art povera, abstract expressionism and
minimalism. I work from a collage based or “piecing” mentality. Currently I’m
covering up a lot of photographic / fashion and interior design kinds of images
with materials like fabric, leather, wood, and paint.
In a review of your
first show at Elizabeth Leach in 2007 on PORTland blog, your work was likened
to Agnes Martin, Mary Heilman and Robert Mangold, along with Morandi in
reference to your palette. Are these painters from whom you’ve gained
knowledge/inspiration? If so, can you speak briefly about those inspirations
and/or other sources of inspiration?
Yes to Martin
and Morandi. I have always been in the Twombly camp and have been helped
tremendously by Tuttle. All of these artists are masters of balancing restraint
with wild passion. It manifests in their work in very different ways – but all
of them share an uncanny ability to simultaneously convey a gravity and
lightness.
Contemporary art has
been described as a reinterpretation of Modern Art. Please speak to how this
statement may apply to your work.
Painting can be
everything - which is both a modern and post-studio idea.
My work
vacillates between desire for restraint and destruction. I am consciously
engaging the freedom that exists in the abstract and it’s relation to the
absurd, the mystical and the unimagined. I’m looking for an emotional result that
is informed by the domestic context, décor, fashion photography, Art Povera,
Abstract Expressionism and Minimalism.
I am operating
with the premise that certain arrangements of abstract formal elements and raw
materials can evoke uncanny experiences beyond the logic of narrative. My work
utilizes a language inherited from modernism that nevertheless seeks to
transcend the limitations of its historical context. This language is a sieve
through which desire and conflict is forced in an effort to achieve a sustained
visual and intellectual pleasure.
Is there a particular
artist and/or painting that has caught your attention lately? If so, why?
Hilary Harnischfeger
at Rachel Uffner Gallery for her materials and her conflation of 2-d and 3-d
and John Zurrier for the purity of what he is doing. I wish I could be that
pure. It’s ok that I’m not but I really respond to the translation of place and
feeling into pure painterly-ness.
How does teaching impact
your work?
Teaching
requires that I stay nimble in my thinking and approach to people. It also
keeps me current. Over the years it has also honed my formal abilities and
technical knowledge because I have taught both beginning and advanced levels.
Advising thesis students and MFA students keeps me honest and conceptually
flexible.
Please talk about the
importance of your collaborative curating projects and how they impact your own
work.
These projects
developed out of a concern for context and accessibility. Doubting the efficacy
of artworks within the gallery or museum or nonprofit setting developed into projects,
which allowed me to communicate more directly with an audience but also share
ideas and methods with other makers. It also allowed me to focus on the reality
of the domestic context in terms of how creative work has a life embedded in
daily life.
After the
intense kind of socialization required of projects like these I am often
grateful for the solitude of my painting practice.



No comments:
Post a Comment