Thursday, May 17, 2012

Red Matter


Red Matter, 18"x18", mixed-media, 2012
Where did the concept of painting in series originate? Was it inspired by a gallery owner looking to satisfy an audience or simply born out of the process of painting because the artist got snagged by an idea and couldn't let it go? Wherever it came from, there has often been a gnome who resides on my right shoulder scolding me, reminding me that I'd better put together a series of work. On the other shoulder is the gnome that says, "Hey Sue! Chill, baby. Just work and the rest will take care of itself."
Red Matter is part of what has emerged to be a series of work done while chilling out. The value of becoming a student again, which I hadn't anticipated, is the distraction it provides while working in the studio. Put another way, I forgot about the whole painting in series concept. It wasn't until a recent studio session of cleaning, reorganizing, and putting the newest work on the wall that this new series became evident. That moment when matter coalesces into something new is dang exciting. It's one of the reasons that I paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment