Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Printmaking and Process


This summer I'm excited to be taking a works on paper print making class at UW. It is a critical element in a process that I used several years ago with the Monolith Series. It is by no means unique to me and involves taking the forms from my paintings and creating maquettes. From there, the  imagery is taken back into 2-D space both in the print studio and through drawing and painting. Here's how it goes. Below is a painting, Stitched, that was made at the very end of 2011.

 
Stitched, 18"x24", 2011, mixed-media

Here is one of the small-scale sculptures that was made recently in my studio, followed by a recent print.








Going back and forth from 2-D to 3-D, between techniques, and also between more controlled and less controlled imagery keeps my ever restless nature very happy. While the wet and cool weather in Seattle this summer has put a damper on the moods of some folks I am not one of them. It may be a result of being a native Northwesterner and my choice to move back here after living away for almost a decade. It is often under a brooding, gray sky and the rhythm of the rain against the roof that my best work is created. Maybe because I am now settled here, most likely for good, that my restlessness comes out visually. Whatever the reason, this summer is proving to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment