Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Back in the Studio


After a busy and productive summer of printmaking and helping to organize and participate in the Duwamish Residency, I finally made it back to my studio in Ballard today. It was good to be back where much of the work I’ve generated during the prior five years took place. It was also very good to once again be among my Building C Studios colleagues and friends. There is much about this place that feels like home, in no small part because of the fair amount of history it holds. But just as vacation can provide us with a fresh perspective on life, working away from the studio has invigorated me. I came back with the knowledge that my practice is strong no matter where my feet land. That provides another coming home of sorts.

It was surprising to discover, once I had pulled out the stack of mono and drypoint prints generated in class at UW this summer and during extra print studio time over the past two and a half weeks, that a pile of over 100 prints needed to be evaluated and organized. The first sort resulted in three piles of three distinct series of work. I posted examples of the first two series earlier on my blog. The first of those was generated through a process of painting, drawing, and creating three-dimension maquettes before making the prints. The second series is a playful exploration of circular patterns yet to be named. The third series was generated after completing the Duwamish Residency and is distinctly abstract and architectural. No pictures yet of this last one have been posted but they will be in the near future. 

In the meantime, I’ll continue to cull through the prints to determine which ones are the keepers, and dust off the studio in preparation for September art walk on the second Saturday of the month. Oh, and prepare to settle back into a studio practice through the upcoming winter. It's good to be back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment