If you've been following my blog then you know about my enchantment with mono and dry point printing this summer because of a class taught by Curt Labitzke and Claire Cowie at the University of Washington. One of the prints generated while in class, Surfacing, will be included in Current, an exhibition presented by Seattle Print Arts at Jacob Lawrence Gallery on campus and opening next Friday, August 10 from 4 to 7 pm. It is only up until the 18th so catch it quickly!
Prior to this summer my printing experience was minimal. While I had taken a couple of good week-end workshops at Pratt Fine Art Center, without sufficient time with a press it was impossible to get a handle on this whole thing called printing. Anyone who has printed knows about the overwhelming options, which can be both good and bad. Armed with an almost unlimited access to a print studio and two excellent instructors, I have managed to produce several prints that excite me. These all relate back to the continuing process I wrote about earlier this summer where I have moved from painting to 3-D, then to drawing and printing, all the while using the same imagery as my source. Once summer passes I'll return to my studio to paint and am excited to see where that takes me. As for the prints that didn't work out, they are material for some future collage. It's all fodder. It's all good.
Prior to this summer my printing experience was minimal. While I had taken a couple of good week-end workshops at Pratt Fine Art Center, without sufficient time with a press it was impossible to get a handle on this whole thing called printing. Anyone who has printed knows about the overwhelming options, which can be both good and bad. Armed with an almost unlimited access to a print studio and two excellent instructors, I have managed to produce several prints that excite me. These all relate back to the continuing process I wrote about earlier this summer where I have moved from painting to 3-D, then to drawing and printing, all the while using the same imagery as my source. Once summer passes I'll return to my studio to paint and am excited to see where that takes me. As for the prints that didn't work out, they are material for some future collage. It's all fodder. It's all good.

No comments:
Post a Comment