Saturday, August 7, 2010

In the Studio

This past week I've finally gotten in the studio again for extended periods of time.  Ooh la la, that feels so good.

Periodically I have returned to making a series of monolith-type sculptures that originally materialized during a week-long residency at Centrum last year.  I'd been painting the structure for over a year before that.  The original piece was made of paper because I had not gone prepared to make 3-dimensional anything.  That's the magic of a residency though and another topic.

Since then I have been making sculptures from wood to plaster to foam core.  Although the monolith sculptures are their own thing, I began painting from the 3-dimensional version earlier this year.  Here is the latest version, which is a work in progress.  It's acrylic on canvas, 40"x 30" and is, as yet, untitled. 



UPDATE: The final version of this paintings is on view at Mithun Architecture, 1201 Alaskan Way, Suite 200, Seattle, through Nov. 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment