That's what artist Ed Ruscha has to say about being an artist in the world today in a recent article by John Lopez in the L.A. Times (full story here). I couldn't agree more. The article explores ways in which the Internet has impacted the contemporary art world. That's such an enormous topic that the article can only scratch the surface.
It will be a long time coming before we truly understand all the ways in which the Internet has changed the world of art and impacted creativity. In the meantime, like everyone else with an Internet connection, artists have to figure out a balance. The magnetic force between the studio and the Internet often leaves me excited and yet disoriented by the sheer number of artistic images and available information. And I am, of course, routinely taken aback at evaporation of hours that happen while looking at the screen. But I'm not complaining. This is a bewildering and inspiring time to be an artist. Now it's time to go off-line and get back to the studio . . . without the computer in tow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment