I cannot stop looking at the paintings of Frances Barth. She's been painting and teaching for years and wracking up a long and impressive pedigree, but I just discovered her at the Sundaram Tagoe Gallery in Chelsea where she is having a show called Scale, Economy and Unnamable Color.
Here is what she has to say in her biography:
"I have been trying to create a heterogeneous kind of painting space, where spatial viewpoints shift, and ways of representing nature shift, where drawing plays a vital role in painting, and where "abstract color" lives alongside "local color" - all with seeming ease and grace to give physical presence to conceptual content."
Frances Barth, 1998
Although this quote is over ten years old it still seems to hold true with her current work. She's created a compelling visual language that captures the urban landscape in a fresh and elemental way. I just can't stop looking.
Here is what she has to say in her biography:
"I have been trying to create a heterogeneous kind of painting space, where spatial viewpoints shift, and ways of representing nature shift, where drawing plays a vital role in painting, and where "abstract color" lives alongside "local color" - all with seeming ease and grace to give physical presence to conceptual content."
Frances Barth, 1998
Although this quote is over ten years old it still seems to hold true with her current work. She's created a compelling visual language that captures the urban landscape in a fresh and elemental way. I just can't stop looking.

No comments:
Post a Comment