Despite my recent declaration to the contrary, the computer is back in the studio with me. While I write this blog I am alternately glancing up at an installation collage that adorns the north wall of my windowless studio (natural light filters down from the skylight above, albeit a subdued uniquely gray Northwest winter light).
This collage was begun several months ago right after I returned from a week-long residency. Every month or so I’ve gone back to it and made a few adjustments. It has grown to approximately 6 ft. by 10 ft. The process of making it has always felt more sketch-like than anything so weighty as a painting. Yesterday I picked at it again for the first time in a while, partially because I wanted to "finish" it so it could be photographed for a submission with a looming deadline.
Therein started the problem. I went for lunch outside of the studio, a rarity, and was feeling pretty good about things as I went out the door. When I returned a short time later a fresh look made my confidence sag. A friend and fellow artist from across the hall voiced it before the words got out of my mouth – too much weight on one side. It no longer feels right.
Well, the photographer arrives tomorrow night and the question remains whether I can get it to feel right before he shows up. Time to get back to work.
UPDATE: Talk about anticlimactic, since the collage still isn't feeling quite right, the photographer appointment has been canceled. I'm off to have a cup of java and contemplate timing and the rightness of things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment